
A man was killed in Washington, D.C., early Tuesday, marking the first apparent homicide reported in the city in 12 days.
Officers responded to reports of a shooting at approximately 12:25 a.m. on Tuesday in Southeast Washington, the Metropolitan Police Department (MPD) said in a statement.
The officers found a man “unconscious and breathing, suffering from a gunshot wound.”
The man was transported to a local hospital, “where after all lifesaving measures failed, he was pronounced dead,” MPD said.
The White House has touted preliminary police data showing no homicides reported since Aug. 14.
President Trump took control of the city’s police department on Aug. 11. Since then, only two killings have been reported: one on Aug. 11 and one on Aug. 13.
This is not the longest stretch that the city has gone without a killing this year, though. There were no murders during the 16-day period from Feb. 25 to March 12, as CNN first reported.
There have been 101 homicides reported in the database so far this year, compared with 118 over the same period last year. The preliminary data are not final, however, and more crime incidents may be added to the database over that period in the future.
Speaker Mike Johnson (R-La.) credited Trump with the no-killings streak, saying on Monday that the president deserves the Nobel Peace Prize for his takeover of the city.
“There are MANY reasons why President Trump deserves the Nobel Peace Prize – but 11 straight days with ZERO murders in Washington, D.C. might top the list,” Johnson said Monday in a social media post. “SAFER streets. STRONGER communities. AMERICA IS BACK!”